Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 03: Poor Man's Pad Thai

Often I think myself as the poor man's Martha Stewart. 

I am not rich like Martha, and I will never be.  Yet, in the kitchen, my resourcefulness kicks into high gear, and I put myself through a mock Iron Chef competition.  I refuse to starve, and I refuse to eat the same mundane things. 

This summer, when I can work from home, I am attempting a (self-imposed) "Summer without Sandwiches" challenge.  When I have to be in the office, I bring lunch from home (It's cheaper, easier and more convenient.).  During the summer, the culinary world can be my proverbial oyster. 

Since I don't want to waste time (or money) going to the supermarket for items that I don't have, I try to become creative and use what I have.  Thus, this is why I employ the use of "poor man's."

The following is my photo attempt to illustrate what I am doing.  The most important thing to remember about cooking - mise en place.  (Make sure everything is prepped before starting to cook.) 

A.  Making the sauce

1.  The candidates: I didn't have fish sauce, but I had rice vinegar, red curry paste and sriracha (hot sauce), for I love food spicy.  Now I am not saying you need these specific items.  The lesson here is an acid (a vinegar) and a spice (red curry paste and sriracha).  The rice vinegar adds the vinegar, the paste adds a depth and heat, and the sriracha adds even more heat.



2.  Soften the flavor with sugar.  I have to confess that I don't measure but rather eyeball all ingredients.  Yet, if you need suggestions - use 2 TBS of the vinegar, 1 tsp of paste, a "squirt" of sriracha, and 2 tsp of sugar.  (The spicy aspect is your decision.)

B.  Let's get chopping!

1.  Normally I would add bean sprouts and green onions (aka scallions), but I had neither.  So, I sliced an onion into thin arcs.


Onion


Sliced onion


Garlic

Minced garlic


Chicken

Chopped chicken


For extra heat/flavor, add paprika or cayenne to chopped chicken
For even more kick, I had these Thai peppers in my freezer

C.  It's noodle time.  Wouldn't it be great if I had thai-style noodles or rice noodles!

NOPE!  Let's try egg noodles!






Get a pot


Add water, boil, add noddles, cook according to directions, and drain

D.  Heat up your wok or skillet with a little vegetable oil and add garlic and Thai peppers to cook for 30 seconds (or when the garlic starts turning a light brown).  (There is no photo for this is a quick step. Remember, in cooking, time seems to be quicker than it is.)  To not burn the garlic, add the chicken and cook until pieces are cooked through (7-11 minutes, depending on size of chicken).


Once the chicken is cooked, transfer to a bowl.  If there is no more oil in wok, add a little more.

E.  It's egg time!

Egg 

Cracked egg
  Add egg, let it cook up (like sunny side up), but then scrabble egg.

Here is me adding the egg (My hand is not required.)
Once eggs are almost cooked, add sliced onions and cook until soft.  (Again, sorry, no picture.)


F.  Let bring this baby home!

Once onions are soft (but not browned), add noodles and mix.

It's almost time!

Add sauce (from Part A) and mix.  Once mixed, add cooked garlic, Thai peppers and chicken.  If I had roasted unsalted peanuts, I would have added them.  But, alas, I don't have any.  So, I got creative and used -

PINE NUTS (WOOT, WOOT!)
So, add the nuts and mix.  Cook until everything is heated through (very quick step).


G.  Plating.

Add the juice of one lime.  (I squeeze directly into the wok.)  Stir and transfer Pad Thai to plate or bowl.  If I had cilantro, I would have added that herb chopped.  But, alas, I did not have any.

Yet, this is what I had for dinner, what do you think (although it's screaming for a splash of green)?

It's lunch time!

Thus, this is my Poor Man's Pad Thai. 

What would you have done differently?  How can this be improved?  What can be taken out?  Do you have a poor man's recipe?

Any constructive criticism is welcomed!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. How did it taste?

    I'm a fan of poor man's black bean quesadillas. I use a can of black beans (lightly strained), Pace picante salsa, hot sauce, and add extra garlic (either powder or chopped if I have time), extra onion, cumin, and coriander. Mix it up in a bowl, spread onto tortillas, toss on some cheese and heat it up in the oven (preferably) or microwave (if time is of the essence). Usually get between 4-6 quesadillas out of this, depending on how you spread out the beans. It's cheap, quick, and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Fie

    It was quite spicy, so I loved it! (You can't have too much spice.)

    I love your quesadilla recipe. I am a sucker for cumin. Sometimes I will just sniff it when I am going through the spice rack.

    ReplyDelete