Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 04: Food Tip of the Day (FTD)

I have to compose a quick entry, but remember how I sliced an onion yesterday for my poor man's Pad Thai?  Well, I hoard the scraps so that later I can make chicken stock.

Onion scraps
When I say "later," I mean in weeks or months.  I may not own gold, but let me present to you my pot of gold that I keep in the freezer:

Leprechauns ain't got nothing on me!  (I add this for the reader(s) who is(are) in Ireland.  Welcome!)
I keep a plastic bag in my freezer, and I store the scraps from anything I want the flavors to infuse into the chicken stock: white/sweet onions (but not red), carrot peelings/root ends, parsley (leaves and stems), stems from green onions/scallions, thyme (leaves and stems), etc.

When I have two chicken carcasses from roasting, I dump them in the largest pot I own and add a freezer bag of scraps.  My philosophy is that you should never have to buy your own chicken stock (unless, of course, there is a chicken stock emergency.  I don't know how that would come up either.).

Do you save your scraps?  If so, why? 

No comments:

Post a Comment