Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 05: The easiest and quickest salmon recipe

I love salmon.  I love it raw, I love it with herbs, and I love making my spicy orange salmon dish.  It is quick and delicious!

What you will need:

1.  Salmon - fresh if you are cooking it right away, frozen (but thawed) if you are not.  (Figure 0.5 lb/person)
2.  Plastic bag (i.e. Ziplock)
3.  1 can of frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed, and buy generic!)
4.  Red pepper flakes
5.  Rice (I prefer jasmine rice.)

The day before, place salmon in plastic bag, add orange juice concentrate and red pepper flakes.  (I would recommend 1/4 tsp.  You may use more or less, of course.)

Remove air and seal bag.  Place bag in a bowl (in case there is a small hole in bag/leakage) and place in refrigerator.  Marinate over night.  (You may want to flip bag over so that the orange juice concentrate can coat both sides.)

To cook:

Cook rice as directed.  (Usually this is the longest step.)

Remove salmon from bag and pour liquid contents into a large skillet.  Heat liquid contents on medium-high to reduce to a thick sauce.  (Stir often.)

When sauce is reduced, remove from heat and place salmon in an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.  (You will thank me later when you have to clean up.)  Place baking sheet under broiler and cook until the outer part is cooked but the inside is still moist (approximately 5-7 minutes).  You don't want to overcook the salmon, so err on taking it out too early.  Cut a salmon portion in half to check.  If it is not done to your liking, place back in broiler.

When salmon is done, serve rice on plates, plate the salmon on top of rice and drizzle the orange glaze on top.

If you want to garnish, roasted peppers are a good addition or simply put freshly ground black pepper on top.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Shoot! Too late! I'm cooking salmon tonight. I'll print the recipe for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't. My husband does. He is the cook. With my ADD, cooking is a mystery to me. I can follow instructions on a book, and I'll do it if necessary, but it's not the pleasure that you seem to get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love salmon so thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete